A lot has been said about the cryptocurrency mining on video cards, and another rise in the interest towards the blockchain technology has led to a critical shortage of video cards and power supplies of medium and high price range due to high demand among miners.
Today we are going to tell you how to get profit off mining without the need to buy expensive video cards and power supllies, but just having a standard office PC. You will be able to earn even more than when using sophisticated farms that cost several thousand dollars.
Some new algorithms allow mining coins on HDD ans SSD, and BurstCoin is among them. There will be the reserved and prepared space for mining on hard drives. Considering the fact that the memory devices consume much less energy, hard disk mining is the most cost-effective way to get your cryptocurrency.
Though it should be noted that in addition to BURST you can also use such cryptocurrencies as Storj, Sia to earn a little something with the help of your HDD. We have already told you how to mine Storj in this review. In this particular review we will cover BURST mining on hard drives.
- Advantages of hard drive mining
- Disadvantages of hard drive mining
- HDD mining with BURST algorithm
Advantages of hard drive mining
- Large and expensive motherboard with a lot of PCI_E ports not required.
- Video cards not required (even the built-in video card will suit).
- The system is easy to install and set up.
- Everything is placed on the usual ATX rack.
- Powerful power supplies not required (10 HDDs consume around 100W).
- Hard drives tend to heat much less (10 HDDs generate as much heat as one gaming video card).
- Powerful and noisy coolers not required (see 2 previous items).
- Wide professional knowledge of computer technology not required
Disadvantages of hard drive mining
- The list of coins that can be mined is still short.
- It’s much harder to sell your used hard drives than the video cards, when upgrading.
- You cannot guarantee the long-term operation of HDD (several years) because of the equipment wearout.
It needs to be noted regarding the latter that it is more a warning than a real risk. There is a HDD for 3TB in my computer, and service hours have already reached 34 thousand hours, and the amount of parkings is more than 170 thousand, which corresponds to 4 years of continuous operation. And have I never noticed any operational disorders for all these 4 years.
There is an opportunity to calculate the profitability of mining the burstcoins on HDD with the help of Profit-mine.com service. At the moment of writing, the profitability calculator showed that my 3TB HDD will earn a little more than $20 per month.
Mining with HDD using the BURST algorithm
BURST uses a brand new algorithm for mining, which is called POC. Mining program generates cunks of data called “PLOTS”, which are then saved onto the hard drive. The mining speed depends on the number of such data sectors, so the more space on yout hard drive they will occupy, the faster the BURSTs will be mined. To find an official BURST branch on bitcointalk forum, just google the magic phrase ann burst.
How to start mining BURST
The following guide will help you set up BURST mining in solo mode:
- Download the wallet and the miner.
- Download and install the latest version of JAVA framework onto your computer. You can download it here.
- Extract the archives with the wallet and miner to the root directory of that hard disk partition where you are going to mine.
- Edit all .bat files in the folder where the miner is, replacing the word “java” with C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java. (this step can possibly be omitted).
- Run run.bat file in the folder where the wallet is
- Click the file-link Burst_Wallet.url twice, or start the browser and enter http://localhost:8125/
- The BURST wallet will be started in the browser. You will be suggested to create a new account. Copy and save the secret phrase. You will need it to log into your wallet.
- Wait for the wallet to download all the data blocks.
- Go to the folder where the miner is and save your secret phrase to the passphrases.txt file.
- Run run_dump_address.bat file. Depending on your secret phrase this .bat file will generate your account number.
- Open address.txt file, and copy your account number from there.
- Edit run_generate.bat file., and write\replace the following parameters there.
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx*[the amount of RAM for the JAVA virtual machine]*m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate [your account number that you copied from address.txt] [starting plot number] [target plot number] [plot size] [the number of processor cores for plots generation]
- It is recommended to leave the RAM size for the virtual machine, and the size of PLOTS by default: 1024.
- Example of a bat file:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx1000m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate 16700675562001133910 0 800000 1024 2
The PLOTS of 200Gb size will be created in this example, and it will be created with 2 processor cores.
- Run run_generate.bat file. Creation of PLOTS began. This process can last for a long time, everything depends on the power and number of processor cores. This will look a little bit like this, starting with 0:
- Run run_mine.bat file. This time, you should have 3 windows running: Plots generation, the BURST wallet server window, and the mining process itself.
- Such lines as “Error reading file” may appear while mining, but that is OK. The mining process is on, and that happens because not all the PLOTS have been generated.
- When all the plots are generated, the processor load will fall, and the PLOTS generator window may be closed.
If the plots generation is interrupted (for instance in case of a power outage or if your computer was rebooted), then you will have to start all over again. So it is recommended to lumo the plots into separate pieces, and later on we will describe how to do it.
BURST mining on the pool
The more complex the net is, the more difficult it is to mine in solo mode, as the block will be found very rare.
- Download the Burst wallet for Windows: https://sourceforge.net/projects/burstwindowswallet
- Make sure that Java: https://java.com/ru/download/win10.jsp is installed on your computer.
- After the start you will be suggested to use the maximum performance for blockchain downloading. You can specify it at your own discretion.
- After the Burst wallet launching you will have to wait a little bit for the wallet to initialize, and then the blockchain donwloading will begin. You can register without the need to wait for the synchronization process to finish. But if you want to conduct cryptocurrency operations, you will have to wait for the syncronization.
- Install the Burst wallet and run it. After the installation, you have to create the new Burst wallet by pressing DON’T HAVE AN ACCOUNT?…
- After that you will receive some set of lines, and those will be your login and password to use your wallet. Make sure you write down and copy this password to a safe place.
- Enter your wallet using the phrase you got while registering. (Login and password are the same).
- It is necessary to wait for the blockchain Burst to be downloaded, and this can take a long time.
- Ask someone to transfer you 2 Burst, for example you can do it from one of the exchanges, or try to get the Burst from the faucet (Find the Faucets tab on top). Your wallet address looks like this: BURST-APPT-9MCJ-9UB7-96R5X.
After that the window with a Burst faucet should open, and you will be able to get a small amount of coins for free. To do this, just enter your wallet. You can also get to know your address in the Account Balance section. Just click on More Info and copy Account ID.
- After you have the first Burst coins on your account (this may take a little time), you will have to do a transaction. Press Send BURST in the upper right corner, send at least 1 Burst to any address, for example here: BURST-APPT-9MCJ-9UB7-96R5X
- Now we have to choose the pool for Burst mining, and this procedure is a little bit different from other cryptocurrencies. The wallet we have downloaded has the functions of plotting and mining, and that means that we do not have to download anything for the Burst mining additionally. To choose the pool for the Burst mining, press Start Mining at the bottom of the window, and then choose any pool from the drop-down list and press Change. Specify the wallet password and address in the opened window. This operation requires having at least 1 Burst on your account. After the required data is entered, click Submit.
- If any errors occur when the pool is assigned, and if we have already performed any transaction, we will have to wait and repeat these actions.
- Now we have to mark out the disk (Lottery tickets). This process is called plotting and it can take a lot of time depending on the farm configuration. Plotting is performed with the help of a plotter which is built into this wallet. To open it, just click Write Plots at the bottom of the window.
- Choose the hard drive where you want to place plots for the Burst mining, and click Plot This Drive.
- Specify the required plots size, the wallet and the resources allocated for plotting, if you are going to use the computer during the plotting process, set 50% of the consumed resources. Click Start Plotting to begin the process of the Burst plotting.
- After the plotting has started, the XPlotter window open, this process can take a long time. Plots are marked once. After this operation is finished, we can proceed to the Burst mining.
- Click Start Mining again at the bottom of our wallet window. We have already chosen and assigned a pool, so there’s no need to choose it. To start mining with the help of the processor, just click Start Mining (CPI/AVX). You can also use GPU for the Burst mining. To do it, click Start Mining (OpenCL).
- If everything is done correctly, the mining will begin, and the special Burst miner window will appear. If you see green messages, that means everything is fine! We wish you success in getting this cryptocurrency.
- Usually payments are made within 24 hours, you need to collect the minimum payment (Each pool has its conditions).
How to set up the plots generation for BURST?
Here we will discuss the configuration of the file run_generate.bat in detail to generate the plots on HDD:
The first example. We have a 1TB hard drive, an eight-core processor, 16 GB of RAM, and we are not afraid of turning off the lights and computer reboots =). The contents of run_generate.bat will be the following:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx4000m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate [ВАШ ID] 0 4096000 4096 7 pause
The second example. We have the same equipment, but we are afraid that the computer may shut down, and we decided to divide the plots into 5 pieces of 200GB. The contents of run_generate.bat will be the following:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx4000m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate [ВАШ ID] 0 819200 4096 7 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx4000m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate [ВАШ ID] 819201 819200 4096 7 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx4000m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate [ВАШ ID] 1638401 819200 4096 7 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx4000m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate [ВАШ ID] 2457602 819200 4096 7 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java -Xmx4000m -cp pocminer.jar;lib/*;lib/akka/*;lib/jetty/* pocminer.POCMiner generate [ВАШ ID] 3276803 819200 4096 7 pause
A detailed plot generator is available here.