Standard ASIC for cryptocurrency mining is made in the form of a chip. It cannot be updated and is characterized by high performance. High-quality models are equipped with several processors created on a chip base, power units, and coolers. Now that we know what ASIC means for mining let’s determine the parameters of the device we need to pay attention to:
- the effectiveness of the hashrate;
- electricity consumption – such devices consume a lot of energy; that is why before acquiring any of them, you need to compare their power capacities to the network’s ones;
- the ratio of price and quality determines the payback period for ASIC.
Before you make any decisions about purchasing ASICs, you should know that today it is more profitable to invest your funds in cloud mining where you rent the same ASICs, but they are located in a remote data center and are serviced by specialists. Read more about cloud mining.
- Technical part
- How to choose an ASIC
- What ASIC to use for Bitcoin mining?
- Review of the best ASIC models for 2017-2018
- ASICcoin Mining Calculator for Bitcoin, Zcash, Ethereum, Monero
- Table with a hashrate, efficiency and price – all models
- Comparison of the ASICs and video cards performance: what is more profitable?
The technical part
ASIC (application-specific integrated) is an integrated circuit, designed for solving a specific task. Unlike general-purpose integrated circuits, the specialized ones are used in a specific device and perform strictly limited functions, which are typical only for that device. As a result, the functions are performed faster and, ultimately, cheaper.
An example of ASIC can be a chip designed solely to control a mobile phone, chips for coding/decoding audio and video signals (signal processors).
The ASIC chip has a narrow range of applications, which is strictly determined by the set of its functions.
Modern ASICs often contain a 32-bit processor, memory units (both ROM and RAM) and other large units. Such ASICs are often referred to as System-on-a-Chip.
To describe the functions of digital ASICs, developers use hardware description languages (HDL), such as Verilog and VHDL.
How to choose an ASIC
There are several important factors that can help you determine which ASIC is the best for your farm:
- The first factor is hashrate, which is its effectiveness. The higher the hashrate, the more expensive the device. However, ASIC’s efficiency is the most important indicator.
- The second factor is the electricity consumption. Yes, this equipment consumes a lot of energy, so before buying any devices you should check whether your electric power system has enough capacity to support their operation.
- The third factor is the price. When Bitcoin mining becomes trendy and the cryptocurrency prices are rising, then the equipment cost also goes through the roof. Something similar also happens when a new ASIC model comes out, especially if it is more powerful than the previous one. For example, the Antminer S9 mines almost 14 Th/s, whereas the previous model, Antminer R4, mines only about 8 Th/s.
What ASIC to use for Bitcoin mining?
Now let’s take a closer look at ASIC miners available on the market and see which is better for decoding the Bitcoin blocks:
- Butterfly Labs hashes 600 GH/s with an energy consumption of 0.6 kW.
- ASIC Terra Miner hashes 2 terahases with an electricity consumption of 2 kWh.
- Antminer S5 – has a hashrate of 1155 TH/s with an energy consumption of 590 W.
- Avalon 6 – will work with a minimum input voltage of 11.6 V, with a power of 1200 W. To install it, you will definitely need an external power supply unit and a network controller Raspberry Pi version B +.
- ASIC Antminer S7 has hashrate 4.73 TH/s. However, the manufacturer warns that the device has a margin of error of 5% or more. The products of the series consume 1293 W and operate at a minimum input voltage of 11.6 V.
- Antminer S9 has enough power to operate at the speed of 13.5 TH/s. Its safe temperature is +25 ° C to +40 ° C. The energy efficiency of this device is 0.1 Dg/Gh.
Review of the best ASIC models for 2017-2018
Let’s look at the most powerful and popular models:
Antminer S9 with 13.5 TH/s ~ $ 2700
HashRate: 13.5 TH/s ± 5%;
Electricity consumption: 1350W;
Power efficiency: 0.1 J/GH;
Voltage: 11.60 ~ 13.00V;
Processor: 189x BM1387;
Dimensions: 350mm (L) * 135mm (W) * 158mm (H);
Cooling: 2x 12038 fan;
Safe temperature: 25 ° C to 40 ° C;
Antminer R4 ~ $ 1000
Hashrate: 8.6 TH/s ± 5%;
Electricity consumption: 845 W;
Power efficiency: 0.1 J/GH;
Noise level: 52dB (at an ambient temperature of 35 ° C);
Number of processors: 126;
Voltage: 11.60 ~ 13.00V;
Dimensions: 515mm (L) * 100mm (W) * 222mm (H);
Antminer S7 ~ $500
Hashrate: 4.73 TH/s ±5%;
Electricity consumption: 1293 W;
Power efficiency: 0.25 J/GH;
Voltage: 11.60 ~ 13.00V;
Processor: 135x BM1385;
Dimensions: 301mm (L) * 123mm (W) * 155mm (H);
Cooling: 2x 12038 fan;
Safe temperature: 0 ° C to 40 ° C;
Avalon 6 ~ $559.95
Hashrate: 3.65 TH/s ±5%;
Power efficiency: 0.27 J/GH;
Minimum input voltage: 11.60 V
Controller’s OS: Avalon software
Dimensions: 354mm (L) * 136mm (W) * 150mm (H);
Cooling: cooler12038 with 3800 rmp;
Network controller: Raspberry Pi (B or B+);
External power supply unit is required;
Normal rated power: 990 W;
Maximum power: 1200 W.
Antminer S5 ~ $139
HashRate: 1155 TH/s ± 5%;
Cooling: 1 fan (12038) + 2 heatsinks located on the device’s cards;
Power consumption: 590 W;
Power efficiency: 0.51 J/GH;
Safe temperature: 0 ° C to 35° C;
Dimensions: 298mm (L) * 137mm (W) * 155mm (H);
ASICcoin Mining Calculator for Bitcoin, Zcash, Ethereum, Monero
The most accurate ASIC calculator is offered by https://asictrade.com/calc.html
To use the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Zcash, or Monero calculator, simply select the ASIC-Miner or GPU-farm you are interested in the drop-down menu, or type the hashrate and consumption parameters of the device and then press the Calculation key. The calculator will provide information about the power consumption of the mining device and updated data on earnings with automatic conversion to dollars and euros.
In addition to general data, this tool also provides descriptive tables with information on earnings per day, week, and month, as well as power consumption for the same time ranges.
Thus, the calculator can simplify the process of selecting mining equipment, turning time-consuming calculating into a quick and pleasant job.
Table with hash, efficiency, and price – all models
|AntMiner S1||180 Gh/s||2.0 W/Gh||$299.0|
|AntMiner S2||1000 Gh/s||1.1 W/Gh||$2259.0|
|AntMiner S3||441 Gh/s||0.77 W/Gh||$382.0|
|AntMiner S4||2000 Gh/s||0.7 W/Gh||$1400.0|
|AntMiner S5||1155 Gh/s||0.51 W/Gh||$370.0|
|AntMiner S5+||7722 Gh/s||0.44 W/Gh||$2307.0|
|AntMiner S7||4.73 Th/s||0.25 W/Gh||$479.95|
|AntMiner S9||13.5 Th/s||0.098 W/Gh||$1,987.95 AntMiner|
|AntMiner U1||2 Gh/s||1.25 W/Gh||$29.0|
|AntMiner U2||2 Gh/s||1.0 W/Gh||$49.66|
|AntMiner U3||63 Gh/s||1.0 W/Gh||$38.0|
|ASICMiner BE Blade||11 Gh/s||7.72 W/Gh||$350.0|
|ASICMiner BE Cube||30 Gh/s||6.67 W/Gh||$550.0|
|ASICMiner BE Supphire||0 Gh/s||7.59 W/Gh||$20.0|
|ASICMiner BE Tube||800 Gh/s||1.13 W/Gh||$320.0|
|ASICMiner BE Prisma||1400 Gh/s||0.79 W/Gh||$600.0|
|Avalon Batch 1||66 Gh/s||9.35 W/Gh||$1299.0|
|Avalon Batch 2||82 Gh/s||8.54 W/Gh||$1499.0|
|Avalon Batch 3||82 Gh/s||8.54 W/Gh||$1499.0|
|Avalon 2||300 Gh/s||N/A||$3075.0|
|Avalon 3||800 Gh/s||N/A||N/A|
|Avalon 6||3.5 Th/s||0.29 W/Gh||$499.95|
|bi*fury||5 Gh/s||0.85 W/Gh||$209.0|
|BFL SC 5 GH/s||5 Gh/s||6.0 W/Gh||$274.0|
|BFL SC 10 GH/s||10 Gh/ s||N/A||$50.0|
|BFL SC 25 GH/s||25 Gh/s||6.0 W/Gh||$1249.0|
|BFL Little Single||30 Gh/s||N/A||$649.0|
|BFL SC 50 Gh/s||50 Gh/s||6.0 W/Gh||$984.0|
|BFL Single ‘SC’||60 Gh/s||4.0 W/Gh||$1299.0|
|BFL 230 GH/s Rack Mount||230 Gh/s||N/A||$399 (used)|
|BFL 500 GH/s Mini Rig SC||500 Gh/s||5.4 W/Gh||$22484.0|
|BFL Monarch 700GH/s||700 Gh/s||0.7 W/Gh||$1379.0|
|Bitmine.ch Avalon Clone 85GH||85 Gh/s||7.65 W/Gh||$6489.0|
|Black Arrow Prospero X-1||100 Gh/s||1.0 W/Gh||$370.0|
|Black Arrow Prospero X-3||2000 Gh/s||1.0 W/Gh||$6000.0|
|Blue Fury||3 Gh/s||1.0 W/Gh||$140.0|
|BTC Garden AM-V1 310 GH/s||310 Gh/s||1.05 W/Gh||$309.0|
|BTC Garden AM-V1 616 GH/s||616 Gh/s||1.05 W/Gh||$350.0|
|CoinTerra TerraMiner IV||1600 Gh/s||1.31 W/Gh||$1500.0|
|HashBuster Micro||20 Gh/s||1.15 W/Gh||$688.0|
|HashCoins Apollo v3||1100 Gh/s||0.91 W/Gh||$599.0|
|HashCoins Zeus v3||4500 Gh/s||0.67 W/Gh||$2299.0|
|HashFast Baby Jet||400 Gh/s||1.1 W/Gh||$5600.0|
|HashFast Sierra||1200 Gh/s||1.1 W/Gh||$7080.0|
|HashFast Sierra Evo 3||2000 Gh/s||1.1 W/Gh||$6800.0|
|Klondike||5 Gh/s||6.15 W/Gh||$20.0|
|KnCMiner Mercury||100 Gh/s||2.5 W/Gh||$1995.0|
|KnC Saturn||250 Gh/s||1.2 W/Gh||$2995.0|
|KnC Jupiter||500 Gh/s||1.2 W/Gh||$4995.0|
|KnC Neptune||3000 Gh/s||0.7 W/Gh||$12995.0|
|Metabank||120 Gh/s||1.42 W/Gh||$2160.0|
|NanoFury / IceFury||2 Gh/s||1.25 W/Gh||N/A|
|NanoFury NF2||4 Gh/s||1.35 W/Gh||$50.0|
|BPMC Red Fury USB||2.5 Gh/s||0.96 W/Gh||$44.99|
|ROCKMINER R3-BOX||450 Gh/s||1.0 W/Gh||$200.0|
|ROCKMINER R4-BOX||470 Gh/s||1.0 W/Gh||$210.0|
|ROCKMINER Rocket BOX||450 Gh/s||1.07 W/Gh||$599.0|
|ROCKMINER R-BOX||32 Gh/s||1.41 W/Gh||$65.0|
|ROCKMINER R-BOX 110G||110 Gh/s||1.09 W/Gh||$88.0|
|ROCKMINER T1 800G||800 Gh/s||1.25 W/Gh||$325.0|
|Spondooliestech SP10 Dawson||1400 Gh/s||0.89 W/Gh||$2845.0|
|SP20 Jackson||1.3-1.7 Th/s||0.65 W/Gh||$248.99|
|Spondooliestech SP30 Yukon||4500 Gh/s||0.67 W/Gh||$4121.0|
|Spondooliestech SP31 Yukon||4900 Gh/s||0.61 W/Gh||$2075.0|
|Spondooliestech SP35 Yukon||5500 Gh/s||0.66 W/Gh||$2235.0|
|TerraHash Klondike 16||5 Gh/s||7.11 W/Gh||$250.0|
|TerraHash Klondike 64||18 Gh/s||7.06 W/Gh||$900.0|
|TerraHash DX Mini (full)||90 Gh/s||7.11 W/Gh||$6000.0|
|TerraHash DX Large (full)||180 Gh/s||7.11 W/Gh||$10500.0|
|Twinfury||5 Gh/s||0.85 W/Gh||$216.0|
|Avalon USB Nano3||3.6 Gh/s||0.85 W/Gh||$55.0|
|GekkoScience||9.5 Gh/s||0.33 W/Gh||$49.97|
Comparison of the ASICs and video cards’ performance: what is more profitable?
Initially, mining was planned to be implemented with the help of video cards and farms created on their basis (GPU farms). Now miners from all over the world are divided into two categories: those who use ASICs and those who prefer traditional GPU farms. The succeeding objective statistics will help you assess the advantages and disadvantages of these two types of farms.
Popular mining ASICs are characterized by the following distinctive features:
- quickly implemented;
- rarely need software updates;
- don’t require lots of components to start operation ( you will only need a twisted pair wire to connect the device to the network and a power supply unit);
- work on a limited number of algorithms;
- operate only with a server unit;
- have a high level of noisiness;
- are impossible to repair;
- are impossible to resell in the secondary market due to the rapid obsolescence of the released models.
GPU farms have the following features:
- provide the technical possibility to mine all types of coins;
- have a low level of noisiness;
- can be partially resold in the secondary market;
- are repairable.
You should also keep in mind that GPU farms require more time to be built and their software needs to be updated from time to time, otherwise their hashrate speed may decrease.
Moreover, such farms are difficult to transport because their components are easily broken and have a large number of spare parts.